Next Match: Scunthorpe United (A) Tuesday 28th September 2010

Friday 22 January 2010

Raindrops keep falling on our heads...

At about 1:00pm today (Friday) I had a sudden urge. A crazy, random desire to plan a last minute excursion to Plymouth. It came from nothing, but once it was in my head, that was it. I had it all mapped out; I found a suitable hotel to stop for the night, I'd syphoned some money to one side for petrol, alcohol etc. and I'd almost managed to persuade my dad, who was very, very sceptical, to agree to my spontaneous (and slightly hair brained) trip. Lucky for me, then, that my dad decided that if we were gonna do it, we'd meet up tonight and discuss the plan properly before booking anything or doing anything rash. I don't like that mindset; I prefer to get everything set up and ready for lift off, but I agreed. Well, I agreed in principle, and then carried on planning our itinerary for the two days in the South West (I get a bit carried away when it comes to away days). So you can only imagine how relieved I was that the game was called off before I'd so hastily put everything in place and spent half my weeks wage. If it'd been feasible, I'd probably have already been on my way, squealing with excitement. I love a good, old fashioned away day, especially the ones that happen out of the blue.

Don't get me wrong, I'm totally gutted that this fixture, yet again, hasn't survived a bit of rain. Of course, we were never gonna win; after the turn of events last time at Home Park, it was written in the stars that we were gonna lose the game. But that wasn't the point; I was worked up, buzzing, and ready for a good knees up. Unfortunately, it seems that this match is destined to be played on some shitty Tuesday night sometime, and I'm destined not to be there to see us attempt to right that injustice from earlier in the season.

Of course, it's another kick in the teeth for anyone who had gone that step further and made all their plans for the second time, and it's those die hard souls I feel for the most. I wasn't there for the first attempt at playing the Pilgrims, and I can't even begin to imagine how stressful and costly the whole day was for the brave few who made the first journey.

In Plymouth's defence, the images of the pitch on their official website looked terrible, and the words "bog" and "mush" cropped up way too many times in the accompanying article for comfort. That said, I can't help but think that the reason this game has gone already is that Plymouth are terrified of having to postpone the game again midway through it. Surely the FA could not ignore the state of the pitch if we'd suffered two postponements there during play? The club would find themselves in a bit of bother, you'd think. Even so, it can't rid me of that empty feeling of not having a game this weekend.

So here we are then, we move on to Leicester City at Oakwell in midweek and try, yet again, to put more Plymouth-related misery behind us. And when we finally play Plymouth Argyle away, we'll just have to remember that we owe them. Twice.

Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment