Next Match: Scunthorpe United (A) Tuesday 28th September 2010

Sunday 18 April 2010

The Rut Continues

It's quite a prospect to look forward to on a Saturday morning; several hours on a stuffy coach, heading to South Wales to watch a desperately out of form Reds clash with the notoriously goal-shy Swans. Is there a better way to spend the first full day of your weekend? Err...

As you can imagine, I was up at the crack of dawn to get ready for this one. It's fair to say, I'm not a 'morning person'. To make it worse, the girlfriend and the young 'un didn't even flinch as I banged and crashed my way around the house, getting everything in place for the day ahead. I must admit, by the time I was ready to set off, I was making as much noise as possible. Why is it fair that they get to stay in bed? One up, all up, that's the way I see it. Anyway, the plan failed and they slept the morning away, whilst I began the first leg of my long journey to Swansea.

Whenever I set off on the long journey to an away game with the sun barely risen, it invariably reminds me of the playoff final in Cardiff at the end of the 05/06 season. My memories are a bit blurry from that day, but it's the feeling of travelling for hours, crossing the country just to see the Reds play that brings it flooding back. Thankfully the weather on Saturday was much better than that day, with no flash floods and monsoons in sight. It wasn't particularly pleasant trudging around the Welsh capital in soggy clothes, looking like a drowned rat the last time, so I didn't particularly fancy it this time either.

We got to Oakwell around 8:15 and had a quick walk to the shop to grab some supplies. By this point, I was buzzing, well ready for this one. I wasn't totally confident about the outcome of the day, but I was still looking forward to the game.

The coach journey was the worst bit, as expected, just because of the amount of time sitting, doing nothing. Within 10 minutes, the papers we'd brought to read had been read cover to cover, and all we had left was to try and convince ourselves for 4 hours of motorway that we weren't making a wasted journey, and that we could get something from the game.

It's nice to be the confident one, 'cos there was no persuading my dad that we had it in us to get something from Swansea. He still thinks they're the best side we've seen all season.

Halfway towards South Wales, we stopped off at the services and saw the Histon team, on their way to Forest Green. They looked nervous, and it wasn't until afterwards that we realised the enormity of their game yesterday. I didn't realise they were in relegation trouble. No wonder they were all so subdued.

We arrived at the Liberty stadium at about 2:10, after taking a wrong turning earlier and ending up right beside the DVLA offices. It was a nice enough ground, but pretty much what you expect from these new ones. From the outside, it was a similar sort of shape and design to the Walkers Stadium, and was nice enough to look at. Inside, the view was great, and the atmosphere in the away end was top notch. Even the stewards were friendly, and overall it was a nice place, if not a bit similar to a few other places. It's not the best, but it certainly isn't the worst either.

The drink in the ground left a lot to be desired though. Every time we go to Wales, we order a drink and get handed one from under the desk. Is this normal?? It really creeps me out. I prefer watching my pint being pulled in front of my eyes, rather than it being in my hand ready to drink before I've finished asking for it. It was the same at the Millennium Stadium, so maybe it's just a Welsh thing.

We watched the Manchester derby reach its climax in the concourse, and watched United snatch it yet again. It was reacted to quite angrily by the crowd amassed underneath the TV, which is a bit odd. I probably would have preferred City to have won if pushed for an answer, but it didn't affect me in any way really. For a moment I was beginning to think I'd stumbled into Stamford Bridge or something.

We headed up to the seats and ended up sat practically next to the home fans to our right. Which is a great experience when you win the game, but horrible when you're being comfortably beaten, as we found out throughout.

The game itself was a poor one from our point of view, although in no way was it our worst performance of the season. Steele did his best to lighten up the mood yet again, with his comedy clearance attempt in the fourth minute. It's becoming a sickeningly regular sight to see him haring off his line, and his swing and miss was as impressive as anything he's managed recently. Luckily, the benefactor of his latest, ahem, "moment" was Shefki Kuqi, and he spared his blushes by somehow putting the chance wide. The look on the faces of everyone in the ground, especially the Swansea fans to our right was magical. You could practically hear the sound of 15,000 people simultaneously scratching their heads, wondering how he'd managed to miss that. As Harry Redknapp would have said, my Gran could have scored that.

Swansea eventually did get in front, and then doubled their lead, much to the delight of the home fans nearest us, who'd had to put up with a lot of stick from our travelling support. But after Big Dave bulleted his header in from a Hume corner, Swansea began to look nervous. Colace missed a sitter a few minutes before half time, which would surely have seen us going in level at the break. No doubt that would have made it more interesting, although it would have been more than we'd deserved. They'd totally outplayed us for 45 minutes.

At half time, we headed down for another pre-prepared pint and watched the half time scores come through. By the time we'd headed back up to the seats, we'd missed a sitter from Hume, apparently. I've not seen it again yet, but I would like to. It can't be as bad as that Kuqi first half miss. Surely it's destined to appear on blooper DVD's forever more.

The second half fizzled out a bit really, and they deserved their win, although we did improve. I would have liked to see us have a go at them a bit more, but when Doyle was taken off and replaced in the middle by Hassell, it was obvious that wasn't going to happen. I've not had a bad word to say about MR since his arrival, even during this poor run of form we're in, but he'll have to talk me through that decision, because it stumped me. Butterfield was sat on the bench, and I can't help but think the game was crying out for him.

The third goal sealed the win, but it was typical of us these last few weeks; slack defending and a lack of concentration by everyone who was back defending. It ended the game as a contest and allowed Swansea to play their football and show their fans what they can do. They knock the ball around well, although I can't help but think a better side than us would probably not have let them dominate play the way we did.

By the end of the game, a few people were getting restless, and one or two refused to clap the players off the pitch which was a bit much. I really don't think it was a terrible performance. Swansea are where they are for a reason and it was always going to be a tough ask going there and getting anything. It's fair to say that this season needs to end now so we can start planning for another year in the best, most competitive division in this country.

My Man of the Match for the day was probably Foster who didn't do much wrong, despite us conceding 3 times. The midfield was anonymous again, and the less said about Andy Gray the better. Although I've got to say, chanting about your own player doing "f*** all" during a game when he's playing isn't what I'd call support. Maybe that's just me, but I think it's really poor and helps absolutely nobody.

The way home seemed much longer. It's a long day on the coach overall, with only a few hours at your destination before you're back on the road again. Next time, I think we'll do it in the car. Assuming of course that they don't win the playoffs, which they're still looking a good bet to be competing in come the end of the season.

When I finally arrived home, at about eleven, I was knackered and didn't fancy reading up on what was being said on the forums. I can see why people are frustrated, but it needs to be put into perspective a bit. We're not a top 6 side, or even a top ten. We needed to survive this season, and push on next time. So far, we're still well on course for that. The thing I fear most is that Robins is forced out of this club, because we're not a million miles from being a good side and I still believe MR is the man who can take us forward, given the chance.

Q.P.R next week is winnable and could help push us up the table. The league is so tight around us that a win next week could put us on the brink of the top half, which would be a fantastic finishing position. I'm going to miss watching the Reds in the summer, so I intend to try and enjoy these last couple of games. Hopefully, Robins will give the players a major kick up the backside and they can give us something else to cheer about before this season reaches its conclusion.

Thanks for reading.

2 comments:

  1. fair play for making the trip there, dint fancy it myself!!! glad i didnt now as well!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having done the hard part and pulled clear of relegation trouble well before the end of the season, I think some flat end of season performances on the part of Barnsley can be excused - especially at a very tough place like Swansea. That said, momentum is important and chalking up a couple of decent displays by May will be important if the Robins revolution is to continue.

    ReplyDelete