Next Match: Scunthorpe United (A) Tuesday 28th September 2010

Wednesday 24 February 2010

The Burning Question

"Why do you support Barnsley? Why is it your club, your passion?

That's the question that was asked by the official club website, on behalf of a Reds fan who intends to collate the answers and publish a book on all things Barnsley FC, which I will undoubtedly be purchasing on it's release (I'm a sucker for anything with the BFC logo on). I figured that, since we're in the middle of a quiet week, with no match until the Seasiders visit on Saturday, I'd have a pop at answering the above question. I probably won't be sending it in, but it'll be something to fill the silence.

Controversially, I'm a bit of an outsider when it comes to Barnsley Football Club. I was born and raised in West Yorkshire, in a mining town called Featherstone, which is probably most well known for it's professional rugby league club, Featherstone Rovers. 'Fev' is obviously much more of a rugby town than a footballing town, and you're already an outsider if you aren't a Rover from birth. I don't mind a bit of rugby league, and always look out for how the Rovers are getting on, but football was always my first passion.

As you can imagine, for the ones who do follow football rather than rugby, West Yorkshire is Leeds territory. What is it they say about rats? Never more than 10 feet from one? Well, that's how it works with Leeds fans and West Yorkshire towns like the one I grew up in. Of course, you have all your other, more common fans milling around; Man Utd, Newcastle, Liverpool, just like you do pretty much anywhere in this country, but even they're in the minority, dwarfed by the shadow of the (ex) Premiership club from Elland Road. I don't know if times have changed since I was last there, though I'd imagine they have; probably all Chelsea, Man City and LA Galaxy shirts these days.

My dad had no affiliation with Barnsley whatsoever, and neither did any of my family. I had no ancestors who originated from there, and on paper there was no direct link which would explain why I spend most of my free time (and money) at Oakwell. In fact, my dad had grown up in Sunderland and had a strong connection with the Mackems, although he had also been a regular at Old Trafford in the past and still felt strongly about his Red Devils too. I guess it was a bit of a bolt from the blue, me becoming a Reds fan. I think he still blames me to this day, especially through some of the lower times.

I was only rather young when I chose to follow the Reds. I was fascinated by the football on TV; the noises of the crowd and the spontaneous singing, or the grown men crying with delight or with despair depending on where their team was heading. After growing up being a young armchair fan, it seemed like the most natural step to start attending games. My dad gave me a choice; any local team with the exception of Leeds. I didn't wanna follow Leeds anyway; I guess even at a young age I could tell their fans were quite undesirable. I made my choice and went for the Reds. I can't really answer why; in terms of popularity, Wednesday were ahead at that time, and in terms of closeness, Huddersfield Town would have been an easier choice, but when you're a kid that sort of logic isn't really what you consider. Maybe I just like an underdog, and we're certainly that.

I can't really remember my first game I attended at Oakwell, although certain things stand out. It was either Q.P.R or Grimsby, but it's incredibly shady. I don't even remember if we won or not, although I think we did. I seem to remember Neil Shipperley scoring in front of the away end. But the important things are still as clear as ever; the sight of the stands towering over me, the smells and tastes hovering in the air. We were in the West stand that night, which was a mind-blowing experience for a young kid attending his first ever football match. Of course, the West stand just oozes history and tradition, and even though since that night I've moved all over the ground, eventually settling on the Ponty End, it made a lasting impression on me and I intend to move back there one day, if not just for nostalgia puposes.

Despite being an outsider in terms of the town, following the Reds just feels like you're part of something. Does every club have that feeling? Their fans would probably tell you that their club is the same, but I doubt any other club could have had the impact this one has had on me. Oakwell is the scene of every football dream and nightmare I've ever had; it's been the scene of desperation, the scene of humour, desire, spirit; of being high as a kite and low as a snakes belly. Most of all, it's been the scene of total agony and complete ecstasy. It's a rollercoaster that you can't escape from, and yet you don't want to anyway. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, you feel like packing it all in. I've gone through years of liking and disliking this club, changing as often as the wind. But in spite of that; in spite of me going through days of disliking this club, I've never once fallen out of love with it. I'm as hooked as the next person. That's what makes the long trips to Plymouth Argyle or Southampton possible. It's a feeling of belonging, which simply can't be replicated in any other walk of life.

But most of all, it's a feeling of brotherhood with fellow Reds fans. It's that knowing nod to someone in the street, when you're both wearing your colours. Or chatting to a fellow Red in some strange town in some nowhere part of the country, simply because you're both there for the same reason. You'd never visit there normally, and probably never meet half of the people you do meet if it wasn't for Barnsley FC. You're going over the top together, be it to witness a smashing 4-0 win, or a heartbreaking abandonment when you're 4-1 ahead and cruising. I feel some affiliation with every single football fan in this country, because we all fight in the same battle every week; navigating the country, finding friends all over the place and showing our support to our team. That said, it may be the same battle, but the war includes only us Reds.

These days, my dad tells people he's a Reds fan. He's turned his back on any of the other teams he's followed and settled on my first love; BFC. And I have a link to this town and this club that I hope will travel for generations through my family. My Wednesday-ite missus has different views, of course, but that's for another day. Ultimately, the warm, welcoming feeling that I get every time I go to any game is what keeps me coming back. It's that feeling of acceptance, of camaraderie, that really makes the club appeal to me. I've been supporting them for a long old while now, and despite all the anger, sadness, joy and anguish (most of those emotions come in the same 90 minutes) I couldn't and wouldn't want to trade it in for any other thing or any other team. Especially not Leeds.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment: